Old Wapsi Mill
This six-story gristmill on the west bank of the Wapsipinicon River was built in 1867. Some of its foundation stones were taken from that of an earlier mill, the New Haven Mill that became operational in 1854 for wool processing. Prior to the incorporation of Independence in 1864, a short-lived neighboring village, called New Haven, had grown up on the west side of the river, hence the name New Haven Mill. The mill was first used at first as a flouring mill. As wheat production slowed down, it became more economical to produce “Wapsi” brand poultry and stock feed. It became a source of electrical energy from 1915 to 1940 The mill was placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1975 by the Oliver Greenley’s. Some structural restoration occurred in recent years and the mill now functions partly as an historical museum.
Canon EOS 5D, f/8 @ 32 mm, 1/250, ISO 100, No Flash
© Beyond the Sunrise - Jim Ruff Photography